Its raining, it’s pouring
the wet day is boring
We went to train and we slipped on a- frame
and we couldn’t train agility anymore now…
Ok, I know that’s pitiful. Around here in Central Texas, you dare not complain about rain. You might not get any for quite a while then all your grass dies!
So, what do you do? What can you do? Believe it or not, many beginning training exercises can be accomplished in a small indoor space.
Here’s a list of things I’ve worked on inside that support elements of agility training.
- Basic obedience, Sit, Stay, Come, Tricks
- Putting back feet on a small board to reinforce contact obstacles
- Nose touches
- Rear cross introduction, turning the head when you are behind and move right or left
- Teeter board play time
- I had a small plastic set of portable weaves I used inside, in the hallway
- One jump exercises, begin training “around”, “push”, “backside”.
- Impulse control, waiting for release for treats/toys
- Start line stay exercises
These are just a few examples, be creative! What tiny element of your agility work needs refinement? I bet you can turn that into an indoor exercise that can be fun for a rainy day. Add a great reward and your dog will love Rainy day Monday’s that never get you down!
Ok, I promise I’ll stop with the song remixes!